Steam Download stopping and Restarting is an Error that users have been facing from a very long. Whenever this situation appears, steam is unable to download anything.
Steam Download stopping Error occurs due to distinctive software and hardware specifications. So, we will help you to solve the Steam Download stopping the issue.
Steam is a popular digital distribution platform for video games, but even this established service is not immune to glitches and errors. One of the most frustrating issues users encounter is the ‘Steam Download Stopping and Restarting’ error.
If you’ve been pulling your hair out over this, you’re in the right place. This SEO-optimized article will examine the causes of this annoying error, what to do if your Steam download is stuck, and why your downloads might keep pausing.
What Causes Steam Download Stopping and Restarting Error?
Several factors can lead to the Steam Download Stopping and Restarting error. Below are some of the most common causes:
- Unstable Internet Connection: A fluctuating network can disrupt the download process, causing it to stop and restart frequently.
- Server Issues: Sometimes the problem isn’t on your end but with the Steam servers, which may be down or undergoing maintenance.
- Corrupt Local Files: Damaged or missing files in the Steam directory can also cause this error.
- Firewall or Antivirus Interference: Sometimes, firewall settings or antivirus software can conflict with Steam, leading to download disruptions.
- Disk Write Errors: If your computer’s hard drive has issues, Steam downloads might stop as the system cannot write more data.
How to Fix Steam Download Stopping and Restarting Error
There are many ways a user can use the Steam Download stopping the issue. A few of them are discussed below. It is recommended to use only one desired method instead of using multiple methods.
Solution 1: Close All Unwanted Applications
Check if any external application is causing a ridge in Steam’s Download process. Many apps like VPN software, download manager programmers’, etc. tend to interfere with steam. Follow the steps given below:
Step 1: First of all, launch the task manager.
Step 2: Press “Win + R” to launch the Run command.
Step 3: Type “taskmgr” in the dialogue box. It will open the Task Manager.
Step 4: Now end all the unwanted applications such as web browsers, updates, etc.
Step 5: Restart the steam using “steam.exe”. Now it will work correctly.
Solution 2: Clear Download Cache
There are two ways to use this method. First of all, clear cache data by opening the ‘Steam Client‘ or by using the ‘Run‘ command on the system. Follow the steps given below:
Solution 2.1: Opening The Steam Client
Step 1: Open the Steam client.
Step 2: Then move to the Settings option.
Step 3: Now click on Download.
Step 4: You will get an option “Clear Download Cache”, click on it.
Solution 2.2: Resetting Steam Configuration By Using “Run” Command
Step 1: Right-click on the Windows start button.
Step 2: Now click on Run.
Step 3: Write “steam://flushconfig” in the menu. Now click, OK.
Step 4: A pop-up option will appear stating ‘doing this will clear download cache, and you need to log in again.’
Step 5: Click on ‘OK‘.
Step 6: Now, steam download stopping error will be fixed.
Solution 3: Limit the Network Bandwidth
It is advised to limit the bandwidth from steam if you face fluctuations in network connections while downloading. It is recommended to choose a decent speed. We have discussed the steps below to this problem:
Step 1: Open the steam client. Use the option “Run as Administrator” when launching.
Step 2: Click on “Steam”.
Step 3: Now select the settings option.
Step 4: Now navigate to the “Downloads” tab. An option appears ‘limit bandwidth to‘.
Step 5: A drop-down window appears when you click on it. You will get many numbers of speed options.
Step 6: Choose a speed according to the speed provided by ISP.
Step 7: Now close steam and relaunch it.
The Steam Download Stopping issue would have been fixed.
Solution 4: Adjusting Time and Time Zone
Steam is a system that collects real-time data from the system. When there is a discrepancy between the time in the system and the set time zone, then the steam is bound to crash. It is advised to reconcile time and time zones.
Follow the steps below:
Step 1: Press ‘Win +R‘ buttons to open the run command.
Step 2: Type ‘Control Panel‘ and click on ‘OK‘.
Step 3: From the list of the categories choose ‘Date and Time‘.
Step 4: Now choose ‘Internet Settings‘. Click on ‘Change Settings‘.
Step 5: Choose the dialogue box ‘Synchronise with internet time server‘. Click on ‘Update Settings‘.
Step 6: Now click on ‘OK‘ and restart steam.
Solution 5: Disabling Windows Defender
Windows defender causes steam to crash, thereby increasing the frequency of steam download stopping error. Here are the steps to solve the Steam Download Stopping issue:
Step 1: Press ‘Win + R‘.
Step 2: Type ‘msc‘ in the dialogue box.
Step 3: A ‘local group policy editor‘ will appear.
Step 4: Click on ‘Computer Configuration‘ and select ‘Administrative Templates‘.
Step 5: Now, a folder ‘Windows Components‘ will appear. Click on it and select ‘Windows Defender‘.
Step 6: Browse and select ‘Turn off Windows Defender‘.
Step 7: Select ‘Enable‘.
Step 8: Apply settings and click ‘OK‘.
Step 9: Now, the windows defender will be turned off. Restart the system.
Step 10: Now launch the steam using ‘steam.exe‘.
Solution 6: Clearing HTML cache
Follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Click ‘Win + R‘.
Step 2: Now type “Control Panel”.
Step 3: Now search for ‘folder options’ in the control panel. In windows 10, click on ‘file explorers options’.
Step 4: Click on the ‘View‘ option.
Step 5: Click on ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives‘.
Step 6: Apply the changes and close the window.
Step 7: Again press ‘Win + R‘.
Step 8: Type “C:\Users\<Username>\Appdata\Local\Steam\htmlcache”.
Step 9: Click on your username and find the folder named “AppData”. You will find a folder named ‘Steam‘, ‘htmlcache‘.
Step 10: Select all the items from the folder and delete them.
Step 11: Now launch steam using client. This time it will function properly.
Solution 7: Check if ‘.Net’ is Enabled Properly
.Net is essential for the smooth running of games. Now make sure that ‘.Net’ framework functions is appropriate. In some computers, it is not entirely enabled by default. To enable it to follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Press the windows screen. Now type ‘Control Panel‘.
Step 2: Now click on ‘Programmes and Features‘.
Step 3: Click on the option ‘turn windows features on and off’.
Step 4: An option ‘.Net Framework‘ will appear. Tick this checkbox.
Step 5: On expanding there will be two more checkboxes, tick both of them.
Step 6: Now change your settings and exit the Control Panel.
Step 7: Now launch the Steam.
What to Do If Steam Download Is Stuck?
If your Steam download is stuck, try these solutions:
- Check Your Internet: Ensure that you have a stable connection. Try restarting your router or switching to a wired connection if you’re on Wi-Fi.
- Change Download Region: Steam allows you to download from different regional servers. Sometimes switching to a different region can resolve the issue.
- Clear Download Cache: You can clear your download cache from the Steam settings to remove any corrupt data that might be affecting downloads.
- Run as Administrator: Sometimes, running Steam as an administrator can fix this issue.
- Verify Local Files: In the Steam library, you can verify the integrity of the game files. This can replace any missing or corrupt files that may be causing the issue.
Why Does My Download Keep Pausing?
Your Steam downloads may pause due to the following reasons:
- Scheduled Downloads: Steam has a setting for scheduling downloads. Ensure that this setting is not causing your downloads to pause.
- Low Disk Space: If you’re running out of hard disk space, Steam will pause downloads. Make sure you have enough storage.
- Concurrent Downloads: Sometimes, if multiple games or updates are downloading, Steam will pause one to prioritize another.
- High Network Traffic: If your network is being used for other high-bandwidth activities, Steam might pause the download.
Quick Tips for Troubleshooting
- Restart your computer and network equipment.
- Disable your antivirus temporarily to see if it’s causing the issue.
- Update your network drivers.
- Unable to Initialize Steam API
- PUBG Failed to Initialize Steam
- Steam Content File Locked
- Steam Disk Write
- Steam Won’t Open
- Steam Missing File Privileges
- How to Access Steam Screenshot Folder
Due to differences in computer’s configuration (hardware and software), no single method can fix steam download stopping error. We hope the above methods help our users to solve the issue and fix the errors.
The ‘Steam Download Stopping and Restarting’ error can be exasperating, but understanding its root causes can help you apply the appropriate solution. Whether it’s unstable internet, server issues, or software conflicts, you can usually get your downloads back on track with some basic troubleshooting.
We hope this guide assists you in resolving any Steam download problems you may encounter, letting you get back to gaming as soon as possible. Feel free to share this article with other Steam users who might find it useful. Happy gaming!