Are you into audio recording? Or do you find yourself inclining towards amateur music or sound production? Audio recording is a part of the media and entertainment sector, and it sees a huge demand in audience, event, and advertisement.
Are you looking to set up an audio recording studio or startup for your hobby or commercial purpose? You will need access to sound recording software or a recording app for pc to get your work started – we have curated a list of the best audio recording software and free audio recorder for you.
The Free Audio Recording Software List You Need to Read
Are you looking to find good audio recording software? We have some of the top choices for you.
Audacity has been serving passionate media editors and audio recording enthusiasts for over 2 decades and is one of the best audio recording software for audio editing & mixing.
Audio editing is easy with unlimited sequential undo and redo options, scrubbing and seeking features, and smooth transitions to volume in both directions with the Envelope Tool. Create multitrack recordings – easily dub over existing tracks and easily mix & edit multiple tracks at once.
The software serves with multiple effects tools – very comfortably generate tones, cancel ambient noise, change your recording pitch and tempo without either change affecting the other. If you are a DJ or create electronic music or hobby – utilize build-in features like distortion, phaser, echo, reverberation, and more. The Auto Duck effect helps you create voice-over for podcasts.
- The device toolbar can easily manage multiple playback devices and projects.
- The plot spectrum and spectrogram modes are useful for advanced users for frequency analysis and selection.
- Import and export in multiple audio formats like WAV, AIFF, MP3, AU, and FLAC.
- Synchronize labels and tracks with the Sync-Lock feature.
- Novice users can find it challenging to integrate with the software.
- Limited technical support because of Audacity being an open-source program.
2. Movavi Screen Recorder
Movavi Screen Recorder isn’t just an excellent video capturing device; it also gives premium audio output suitable for startups, bloggers & freelancers, educators, and hobbyists.
This free audio recording software from Movavi can record online conference calls, webinars, and presentations. Go through your recorded video files to gain necessary feedback and share them with your co-workers, associates, business partners, and vendors for improved working and operations.
Notable features on Movavi Screen Recorder – record internal system sounds and microphone audio separately from screen recording, schedule when you can record a video or audio file, and preset a time limit for operations. You can share your output files and projects instantly with your peers, garnering prompt feedback, and rework your projects.
- You can produce an audio recording in various formats like MP3, AAC, WAV, and FLAC.
- Movavi Screen Recorder adapts to basic system specs making it ideal for small businesses, independent users, and hobbyists.
- Get access to a huge library of resources like blogs, video tutorials, pdfs, and technical support for comfortable operation.
- Updates are offered every 3 months, ensuring fresh quality.
- Movavi Audio & Screen Recorder is the best free sound recorder for students – grab audio files for college lectures, tutorials, and webinars.
- Screen Recording features a watermark with the free version, although it should not affect only audio files.
- The software is not suitable for large projects.
WavePad is one of the best audio recording software if you love creating and editing high-quality audio recordings. It is available for all operating systems – Windows, Mac, and Android.
Multiple edits can enhance your projects – make auto-trim, create compression, pitch-shifting, and cancel background noise. Add effects like echo, reverb, treble, and phaser that give your audio recording a vibrant identity.
You can create audio files in various formats – MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA, OGG, VOX, AMR, and more. Convert one audio file format into another format effortlessly.
- WavePad has advanced features like spectral analysis and speech synthesis for experienced users.
- Choose more than 1000 sounds from the in-built library. You can modify stock sounds, make minor tweaks, and use the renewed output in your project.
- WavePad integrates with MixPad audio mixer and various social sharing platforms.
- This software is an ideal and free sound recorder to modify music tracks, create ringtones from existing tracks, and restore audio files’ quality.
- You cannot process multiple files with WavePad, which can affect your work rhythm.
- The free version is not suitable for high-end or professional-grade sound engineering.
GarageBand is your go-to platform for creating music if you own a Mac or iOS device – produce high-quality music pieces with integration for instruments and add unique effects to your projects with GarageBand.
You can plug in your instruments or curate music on build-in instruments like keyboard, guitar, drums, and percussion sets. The music can be amplified with bass, treble, reverb, echo, and other effects.
GarageBand’s UI and intuitive controls help novice users create compelling music pieces – build-in lessons for piano and guitar. Pre-recorded audio and sound clips can be modified and added to your projects, track your progress, and get instant feedback.
Sharing is made easy through GarageBand with integrated support for social media platforms, iTunes library, and iCloud, making it one of the best audio recording software for Mac users.
- Features like Touch Bar and Smart Control enhance your music creation experience and ensure streamlined audio recording.
- Utilize the Flex Time feature to ensure that your audio recording is in rhythm.
- Video demos and tutorials help individuals create music massing many genres – rock, punk, jazz, blues, classical, and pop.
- Own an iPad? Wirelessly control your GarageBand projects with the Logic Remote app.
- New users can find themselves challenging to integrate with the software.
- dB levels are not displayed on the volume meters.
MixPad is an excellent free audio recording software ideal for beginners to mix audio tracks, create interactive playsets, and climb the experience ladder. You can record tracks for a band, engaging radio ads, and amateur music pieces with MixPad.
You can add varying features to your projects by editing options like EQ, compression, and reverb. The software supports the Virtual Studio Technology plugin (VST), featuring simple configuration, studio & instrument effects, and synth effects.
Save your completed files in multiple audio formats like VOX, MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, and more. Share your projects hassle-free with your co-workers, peers, or audience through integration with sharing platforms.
- Mix an unlimited number of audio and music tracks; also, record multiple tracks at once.
- Get access to a vast library of royalty-free audio, sounds, and music – use them in your projects or alter them to your preference.
- Create music production with instruments and vocals; also, mix voice-overs with background music.
- MixPad can be integrated with WavePad.
- MixPad is not suitable for making advanced music production.
- There is potential for improvements in the software.
Spek means ‘bacon’ in dutch, synonymous with the pig with headphones logo of the software. Spek is not a free audio recording software – it’s a free audio or sound analysis software utilizing spectrogram studies for Windows, Unix, and Mac OS.
The features that make Spek one of the best sound analysis software – display code name, auto-fit frequency, and spectral density rulers, show audio signal parameters, comfortably adjust spectral density range, and ultra-fast processing.
Spek can detect and read every audio file format through FFmpeg libraries’ support – a platform that aids in converting, record, and stream audio.
- Multiple-threads are utilized for faster audio file analysis.
- A drag-and-drop feature along with support for 19+ languages.
- Spectrogram can be saved as an image file.
- Spek has a small file size, low system requirements, and an instruction manual for support.
- Not suitable for professional use.
- Spek is open-source software and experiences regular bugs.
Audio recording and music production is a vast industry and consists of skilled individuals regularly producing high-quality output. Some of these best audio recording software programs are free or feature a cheap subscription plan, ideal for skilled individuals looking to set up their audio recording startup or studio.