ESPN is a renowned sports network, and Apple TV is a popular streaming platform. If you’re an avid sports enthusiast and own an Apple TV, you might be wondering if you can watch ESPN on it.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the availability of ESPN on Apple TV, the activation process, the safety of using ESPN on Apple TV, its benefits, whether ESPN is included in Disney Plus, the ownership of ESPN, and whether it’s available for free.
The steps to add and watch ESPN on Apple TV, how to get ESPN on Apple TV, how to AirPlay ESPN to your Apple TV, ways to watch ESPN on Apple TV without a cable subscription, troubleshooting common issues like ESPN not working on Apple TV, obtaining an ESPN+ subscription, and exploring the features and highlights of ESPN.
ESPN on Apple TV: An Overview
ESPN is a popular sports network known for its coverage of various sports events, including football, basketball, baseball, and more. Apple TV, on the other hand, is a digital media player and streaming platform developed by Apple. Combining these two can enhance your sports viewing experience.
Can I Watch ESPN on Apple TV?
Yes, you can watch ESPN on Apple TV. ESPN offers its own app, called the “ESPN App,” which is available for download on the Apple TV App Store. With this app, you can access a wide range of sports content, including live games, highlights, analysis, and more.
How to Activate ESPN on Apple TV
To activate ESPN on your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Download the ESPN App: Go to the Apple TV App Store, search for the “ESPN App,” and download it to your Apple TV.
- Open the App: Launch the ESPN App on your Apple TV.
- Select Your TV Provider: You will be prompted to select your TV provider or streaming service. Choose the one you have a subscription with.
- Authenticate Your Account: Follow the on-screen instructions to authenticate your account. You may need to enter your login credentials for your TV provider or streaming service.
- Start Watching: Once your account is authenticated, you can start watching ESPN content on your Apple TV.
Adding and Watching ESPN on Apple TV
To add and watch ESPN on your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the App Store: From the Apple TV home screen, go to the App Store.
- Search for ESPN: Use the search bar to find the ESPN app.
- Download and Install: Select the ESPN app from the search results and click on it. Then, choose the option to download and install the app on your Apple TV.
- Launch the App: Once the installation is complete, launch the ESPN app from your Apple TV’s home screen.
- Sign In or Create an Account: If you already have an ESPN account, sign in using your credentials. If not, you can create a new account directly within the app.
- Start Watching: After signing in, you can start browsing and streaming the wide range of sports content available on ESPN right from your Apple TV.
How to Get ESPN on Apple TV
Getting ESPN on Apple TV is straightforward:
- Subscribe to a TV Provider: ESPN often requires authentication through a TV provider or streaming service. Make sure you have an active subscription with a participating provider that includes ESPN access.
- Download the ESPN App: Follow the steps mentioned in the previous section to download and install the ESPN app from the Apple TV App Store.
- Authenticate Your Account: Open the ESPN app, and you will be prompted to select your TV provider or streaming service. Choose the one you have a subscription with, and then authenticate your account by entering your login credentials.
- Start Enjoying ESPN: Once your account is authenticated, you can access a wealth of sports content, including live games, highlights, analysis, and more.
AirPlay ESPN on Apple TV
If you have an iOS device (iPhone or iPad) and want to AirPlay ESPN content to your Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Ensure Compatibility: Make sure both your iOS device and Apple TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Access ESPN: Open the ESPN app on your iOS device.
- Select Content: Choose the ESPN content you want to watch.
- Enable AirPlay: Swipe down from the top right corner of your iOS device’s screen to access Control Center. Tap “Screen Mirroring” or “AirPlay Mirroring” and select your Apple TV from the list of available devices.
- Start Watching: Your selected ESPN content will now be displayed on your Apple TV screen.
Watching ESPN on Apple TV Without Cable
To watch ESPN on Apple TV without a cable subscription, consider subscribing to a live TV streaming service that includes ESPN in its channel lineup.
Popular streaming services like YouTube TV, Hulu + Live TV, Sling TV, and fuboTV offer packages that provide access to ESPN and other sports channels.
After subscribing to one of these services, download their respective apps on your Apple TV, sign in, and start watching ESPN.
Troubleshooting ESPN Not Working on Apple TV
If you encounter issues with ESPN not working on your Apple TV, consider the following troubleshooting steps:
- Check for App Updates: Ensure that both the ESPN app and your Apple TV’s software are up to date.
- Restart Apple TV: Try restarting your Apple TV by going to “Settings” > “System” > “Restart.”
- Reinstall the ESPN App: If problems persist, uninstall the ESPN app from your Apple TV and then reinstall it from the App Store.
- Internet Connection: Make sure your Apple TV is connected to a stable internet connection, as slow or unreliable internet can affect streaming.
- Contact Support: If issues persist, reach out to ESPN support or Apple TV support for further assistance.
Getting an ESPN+ Subscription
ESPN offers an additional subscription service called ESPN+. To get an ESPN+ subscription, follow these steps:
- Visit the ESPN+ Website: Go to the official ESPN+ website.
- Choose a Plan: Select the subscription plan that suits your preferences. ESPN+ offers monthly and annual plans.
- Create an Account: Sign up for an ESPN+ account by providing your email address and creating a password.
- Provide Payment Information: Enter your payment details to complete the subscription process.
- Access ESPN+ Content: Once your subscription is active, you can enjoy exclusive ESPN+ content on your Apple TV by signing in with your ESPN+ account.
ESPN: Features & Highlights
ESPN offers several features and highlights that make it a go-to destination for sports enthusiasts:
- Live Sports: Access live coverage of various sports events, including NFL, NBA, MLB, and more.
- Highlights: Catch up on the latest game highlights and top moments from your favorite sports.
- Analysis: Get in-depth analysis, expert commentary, and pre-game/post-game shows.
- Customization: Personalize your sports experience by selecting your favorite teams and sports to receive tailored content and notifications.
- ESPN+: Subscribe to ESPN+ for exclusive content, including UFC fights, original shows, and more.
Is ESPN on Apple TV Safe?
Yes, ESPN on Apple TV is generally safe to use. The ESPN App available on the Apple TV App Store is an official and reputable app provided by ESPN.
However, as with any streaming service, it’s essential to be cautious about sharing your login credentials and personal information. Always ensure that you are using official and authorized apps to access content to protect your privacy and security.
Benefits of ESPN on Apple TV
Here are some of the benefits of using ESPN on Apple TV:
- Wide Range of Sports Content: ESPN offers coverage of various sports, including live games, news, highlights, and analysis, allowing you to stay updated on your favorite teams and events.
- User-Friendly Interface: The ESPN App on Apple TV provides an easy-to-navigate interface, making it convenient to find the content you want to watch.
- Customization: You can customize your sports experience by selecting your favorite teams and sports to receive personalized updates and notifications.
- Multi-Device Access: You can use your Apple TV to access ESPN content, and with the same credentials, you can also watch on other devices like smartphones, tablets, and computers.
Is ESPN on Disney Plus?
ESPN and Disney Plus are both owned by The Walt Disney Company. While they are separate streaming platforms, they are often bundled together with Hulu as part of the Disney bundle.
This bundle offers subscribers access to Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN+ for a combined subscription fee. However, ESPN content is not directly integrated into Disney Plus; you need to access it through the ESPN App or ESPN+.
Is ESPN Owned by Disney?
Yes, ESPN is owned by The Walt Disney Company. Disney acquired ESPN in 1996, and it has been a subsidiary of Disney ever since.
This ownership allows Disney to offer various sports-related content through ESPN and ESPN+ as part of its broader entertainment portfolio.
Is ESPN on Apple TV Free?
While you can download the ESPN App for free on Apple TV, accessing its content typically requires a subscription with a participating TV provider or streaming service. ESPN also offers ESPN+ as a standalone subscription service with additional content and features.
While there may be some free content available, such as select highlights and articles, accessing live games and premium content usually involves a paid subscription.
Watching ESPN on Apple TV is a fantastic way to stay connected with your favorite sports events and enjoy a wide range of sports-related content. With the ESPN App, you can access live games, highlights, analysis, and more.
Activating ESPN on Apple TV is a straightforward process, and it offers a user-friendly interface for an enhanced viewing experience.
While ESPN is owned by Disney, it operates as a separate sports network, and its content can be accessed through the ESPN App or ESPN+ subscription. Whether you’re a sports enthusiast or just looking to catch up on the latest sports news, ESPN on Apple TV has you covered.