Following a spectacular series of finals in the synchronised diving events, the individual diving events at the Tokyo Olympics are about to begin. Learn the ins and outs of diving, including how to watch, how points are awarded, and more.
Dive Times for the Tokyo Olympics
If you want to catch every round of the individual diving competitions, here’s how to do it:
Long jump for women:
- Time of the semi-final on July 31 at 2 a.m. ET (Stream)
- In the end, on August 1 at 2 a.m. ET, is when everything must be finalised. (Stream)
- Pics of Sunken Face Because of Dentures
- State of Emergency Declared After Tornadoes Slice Through New …
Male 3 metre springboard:
- First round: August 2 at 2am Eastern Time
- The semi-final will take place on Monday, August 2 at 9 pm ET (Stream)
- Decisive: August 3 at 2 a.m. ET
Female 10 metre platform:
- Ahead of Time: August 4, 2012 at 2am EST (Stream)
- The semifinal will take place on August 4 at 9 pm ET
- Closing: August 5 at 2am EST
10 metre male platform event:
- First round: August 6 at 2am Eastern Time (ET) (Stream)
- Friday, August 6 at 9 p.m. ET is the time and date of the semi-finals
- The deadline is 2 am ET on Saturday, August 7
What depth is Tokyo’s Olympic Diving Pool?
The platform is 10 metres (32.8 feet) in the air, so diving pools need to be at least 5 metres (16.4 feet) deep for safety.
The Tokyo Aquatics Center, site of the Olympic diving competitions, features a 50-meter swimming pool and a diving pool that is five metres deep.
When they Come up for Air, Why do Divers have to Rinse off?
Divers report that rinsing off helps minimise muscle cramps as they transition from the warmer water of the pool to the colder air of the deck.
What is the System For Tallying Points at the Olympic Diving Competition?
In individual diving competitions, seven judges are used (11 in synchronised events). On a scale from 0 to 10, they rate each dive (in half-point increments). The judges can only base their decisions on what they see in the moment, so don’t expect any video replays.
The top and bottom two scores are disregarded. The difficulty of the dive is multiplied by the sum of the remaining three scores. For instance, a tuck position half somersault in reverse with a twist counts for 2.7.
Each competitor in a men’s individual diving event will do six dives, while women will only need to complete five. Divers must inform judges in advance of the dives they plan to do and in what order. Different types of dives, such as forward (where they start with their backs to the water and rotate forward) and reverse (where they start with their fronts to the water and rotate backward), must be performed (where they face the water and then rotate backward).
When Diving, Why do Certain Scores Get Crossed Out?
The highest and lowest marks are crossed out since they are not included in the final score for the dive.